2009/10/03

Optimize the battery usage in Ubuntu 9.04 on Asus eeepc 1000HE

P6180097
Annecy.France

Yesterday, I brought my eeepc to office. I wanna try link it to my big screen LCD and see how it works. If possible, I want to control my office notebook under ubuntu remotely. In this way, I can control the computer in the way I want it, and still, being able to access all the necessary apps in windows.

However, out of no reasons, when changing the xorg settings to adapt the LCD resolution, my compiz 3D effects are all gone. A bit panicked, I gave up this idea and back to my original work style.

In addition, I also found that the battery strength is much less than what I observed in windows xp. Even turning CPU to powersave mode, the indicator shows 4 hour usage at most. This is a big shock for me. The long battery usage of this model is the very reason I bought it. If this is broken in ubuntu, then I may need to consider going back to windows xp platform.

Fortunately, the problem is much easier to solve than I think. Thanks for the enormous eeepc users, the power usage under ubuntu is being improved continuously. And the patch/tool on the internet is already very stable. This problem can be solved by simply installing several packages. One thing to notice though, the battery monitor in ubuntu is not quite accurate. Don't trust it. Install powertop to get a better measurement and some hints are also available to tell you how to improve the battery usage.

Two packages I used for this problem:
eeepc-acpi-utilities
eeepc-tray
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eeepc-acpi-util/
Introduction


I also found another package that can help you to quickly toggle H/W modules (wifi, bluetoo, webcam, etc).
eee-control

Now, it's time surfing~~

沒有留言:

張貼留言

中國 App 商業模式 -- 王泌

很有系統地介紹了中國近幾年比較大的幾十個 app,包含他們主要的商業模式,投資者,和特色在哪裡。對於想要了解中國 App (網路服務) 市場的人來說,會是個很好的入門書。雖然已經是兩三年前的資料了,這兩三年又有了很大的變化,但依然是個很好的起點。